And this Chia Seed Parfait is a healthy way to indulge in a sweet holiday treat. Planning out menu ideas for the Fourth of July holiday, I decided to create a layered double berry sundae of sorts to finish off a meal and get ready for a night of town fireworks.
This easy pre-made parfait can be assembled earlier in the day and pulled out before serving. My favorite part.....no fancy equipment necessary. This was made in minutes and clean up a snap. Topped with fresh mint, granola for some crunch or more berries this is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
Why Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are a nutritional powerhouse. Packed with omega-3's fats, fiber, protein and antioxidants. They help cleanse the digestive tract and remove toxins from the body all while keeping you full and feeling your best.
Texture Issue keeping you away from this Seed?
I know plenty of clients who just can't stomach the slimmy seed. It's OK. If you prefer, you can blend this chia seed mixture up, banana, berries and all to create a smooth pudding like dessert. This recipe blends up very well still giving you all the same nutritional benefits. So ahead...don't be shy. Blend and Enjoy!
Berry Chia Seed Parfait
Serves: 4 small parfait size cups or 2 larger ice cream dishes
1/4 cup of chia seeds
1 cup filtered water or unsweetened non-dairy milk
1. The night before serving or early in the morning soak the chia seeds in water or non-dairy milk for at least 20 minutes or longer. Cover and refridgerate if using milk. If using water, you can leave this on the counter all morning. The seeds will double in size and become gelatinous.
2. Once the seeds are ready. Prepare the parfait cups and wash and chop your berries into small pieces.
3. Using the back of a fork mash the bananas in a small mixing bowl. Add banana mixture into the chia seed mixture and stir to combine. (If you are blending....go ahead and blend mixture up at this point) Process until smooth.
4. Assemble the parfaits: In tall ice cream glasses layer some berries and chia seed pudding alternating berries and chia seeds until you reach the top of the glass. Top with fresh mint and or other suggested toppings and enjoy.
5. Can be made ahead of time. Cover and put in fridge. Add fresh toppings when ready to serve.