We all want to enjoy this time of year and make the most of these precious sunny days. Here are a few ideas to keep you happy and healthy this season and savor these beautiful days of summer.
Feel free to let me know what you plan on adding to your calendar or if I missed any big summer favorites that you always do. I'd love to hear from you!
1. Plan time with people you love. Make time to visit or reach out to an old friend. Nothing can bring a smile to your face like seeing someone you care about. You probably already have someone in mind. Give them a call or email them this week. Remember health is not just about diet and exercise, relationships and community matter.
2. Visit the farmer's market. Skip the boring grocery store and shop outside. Fresh, local produce is often times cheaper than the big box stores and you can feel good about supporting our neighborhood farms. Check on-line for dates and times.
3. Take more walks. After the winter we just had, taking in an extra walk after dinner is a pleasure. Adding in more movement to your daily routine always makes you feel better and improves your mood. Sneak in more walks and take time to enjoy the season.
4. Enjoy a road trip. Sometimes leaving what you're use to is the best medicine. We all need a break from the weekly grind. Explore your state on the weekends and find some place new to visit. It's always refreshing to plan a road trip. Picnics are optional, but encouraged.
5. Try an outdoor fitness class. This time of year lots of communities offer free fitness classes in the park. Check out what summer activities are going on in your area and take advantage of the weather and opportunity to try something healthy and new.
6. Eat a new vegetable. Eating the same thing all the time is not always good for you. Rotating a variety of fruits and vegetables gives your body all different vitamins and minerals, and is important for overall health. Give something you've never tried a go and explore a new world of tastes. Who knows...you might find a new favorite!
7. Go berry picking. Growing up in Connecticut we did this every summer. Make the effort to find a farm near you and explore picking your own berries. It's a wonderful activity for friends and/or the whole family. And just as fun using them for muffins, pancakes and pies!
8. Take a hike. Being out in nature is a wonderful way to restore your health and quiet your mind. Taking time to return to what's natural always makes us feel better. Find a trail near you and discover peace and tranquility.
9. Eat more real food. My favorite tag line. You know why. Just add in more real food and your body will do the rest. I know, am I so annoying by now?!!
10. Read a new book. Stimulating your mind and reading something new is a wonderful way to grow and learn. Pick up something different and escape into a good read or work on your professional development. Both are excellent ways to spend your time.