This creamy, luscious velvety smooth sauce is my favorite way to use up those endof summer garden tomatoes, serve over grilled veggies or with pasta. Minus all the dairy and vodka. Cashews steal the show and blend up to made this melt in your mouth. Go ahead....you have time to make this and you and your family will LOVE it!
Made this now and freeze for one of those nights when you don't feel like cooking. Freezes well and makes me smile.
Creamy Cashew "Vodka' Sauce
prep time: 10-15 mins
cook time 40 minutes to 2 hours (in-active simmer time)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium size onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
6-8 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
1 cup vegetable stock or filtered water
1 15-ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of raw cashews (soaked in water for about 30 minutes to an hour)
salt & fresh ground cracked pepper to taste
1. In a medium size sauce pan heat up olive oil on medium high heat.
2. Add chopped onion and allow to cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Next add the minced garlic and stir to combine. About 1 more minute until fragrant.
4. Add in all the diced fresh tomatoes, vegetable broth and can of diced tomatoes with juices.
5. Turn heat up to high and bring mixture to low boil.
6. Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes of until tomatoes are soft and begin to break down. Stirring occasionally.
7. Continue to cook for another 20 minutes or longer and add in the soaked cashews.
8. Carefully transfer sauce to a high speed blender or food processor and blend mixture until smooth.
9. Place back into sauce pan and continue to simmer on low, uncovered until ready to serve. If sauce is too thick, just add more vegetable stock or water. Stirring occasionally.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!