Looking for something colorful, healthy and green to jazz up your table? This citrusy, wintery green mix gets an A+ on presentation and the flavors burst in your mouth.
I had the honor of hosting a holiday party for a lovely group of women in my town and this salad was gone in minutes. Bright, beautiful and good for you this is a win-win real food delight.
Bring this colorful salad to your next holiday party, feel good about eating more greens and celebrating the season.
Still not sure about giving kale a try??...this wins over all my kale haters...promise!
Pomegranate Kale Salad with Orange Vinaigarette
prep time 15-20 minutes
For the Dressing: yields about 1 cup
1-2 oranges, zested & juiced
2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (optional)
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
For the Salad:
1 to 2 bunches of curly kale (any variety..purple and green make a nice blend) cut into small ribbons
1-2 cups of cooked and cooled quinoa
1 orange, peeled and cut into small bite size segments
1/2 cup to 1 cup of pomegranate arils
1. In a medium size mixing bowl combine all ingredients for the dressing and whisk to combine. 2. Remove about half the dressing into a small container to serve on the side if you or your guests desire more dressing. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
3. Prepare your greens and finely chop into bite size ribbon pieces.
4. Add into mixing bowl and massage the kale (squeeze it with your hands!...yes, you can play with your food!) with the remaining salad dressing. Place marinated kale into your serving bowl.
Chef Note: this can be done prior to dinner anywhere from an hour to 30 minutes before serving.
5. Top with quinoa, orange segments and pomegranate arils and you're ready to serve.
6. Season with salt and fresh ground cracked pepper to taste and serve with remaining salad dressing on the side.
**photo above is missing the orange segments...yes I forgot them! oops!