Wednesday, January 6, 2016
My go-to fast weeknight meal in minutes are my good friends...greens & beans. Warm steamed kale and mexican beans make for a cheap and healthy meal in minutes.
Make this one night and reheat it for another. Add tortilla chips, salsa and fresh cilantro and lime juice for a fast, flavorful dinner.
For the Beans:
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped small
1 jalepeno* diced (optional if you're into heat)
1 bell pepper, diced (any color is fine)
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1 cup of salsa or 1 8-ounce can of tomato sauce (whatever you have)
Taco seasoning mix or a blend of
1 teaspoon of chili powder
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1/2 cup of water
1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed & drained (any bean variety will do)
*Chef Note: added some extra kale into the mix in photo above
For the Greens:
1/2 cup of water
1 bunch of greens (kale, swiss chard, spinach) washed and patted dry
1. In a medium size saute pan heat oil on medium-high heat.
2. Prepare your onion, garlic and peppers and once pan is hot add into saute pan.
3. Stirring occasionally until soft about 7-9 minutes.
4. Next add in your spices and stir to combine. This smells amazing...enjoy!
5. Lastly add in your liquid, salsa and/or tomato sauce and stir to combine.
6. Turn the heat up to high until the mixture is gently bubbling. Cover and reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
7. Add in your beans last and stir to combine.
8. Season with salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste and enjoy. Set aside.
9. Steamed Greens: In a separate small pan add water to just cover the bottom and heat on medium high heat on the stove.
10. Once warm, add in your greens and cover for 2 minutes or so.
11. Using a tongs or two large forks turn greens over and they will begin to become dark green and gently steamed. (this only takes a few minutes...so stay close) You can easily overcook.
Ready to serve!
1. Plate your steamed greens and pile on your prepared beans. You can serve with warmed tortillas, fresh chopped cilantro, salsa, cashew cheese sauce and lime wedges.
*Chef Note: Leftovers can be stored for another night that only takes minutes to assemble.
easy weeknight meal